Black Friday, Why I Hate It

Hello everyone, I hope that everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving and you're not dead from eating too much food. I am writing this on Tuesday because I am working both Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Now from the title you see that I hate Black Friday. A good amount of people would agree with me that Friday is another wasteful day and here is why.

As I stated before I am working Thanksgiving and that is the first reason. I just got home from school a week ago and I've already started work. Which is good because I need to save money but the sales have already started. My store is the only one in Michigan open on Thanksgiving, and they told us Friday because we were supposed to be closed. Totally unfair, right? I have to work from 7 pm to 1 am, and then go back for Black Friday at 12 pm and work for 9 hours. Yes, I will get a lot of hours and the paycheck will be good but what happened to Thanksgiving being about family? This isn't my employer's fault, it is the industries' fault for using this holiday to make money.

You have probably been getting emails about sales already. More and more companies are starting their Black Friday sales two weeks before the actual day. Each year it seems that Black Friday is starting earlier and earlier. I would be happy to work on Friday, but on Thanksgiving you should be with your family.


Even though the industry will not change I still have to look at the bright side of this week. I get to be home with family this year unlike last year. I do get to have a Thanksgiving meal before I go to work. Some people might not even have that. Also you have to take the time to think about what is in your life that makes you happy. 


For me I am thankful for my parents for being there for me and always supporting me and my dreams. My dogs and cats for helping me cope with stress and depression and being there to make me feel better. My friends are a big part, at home in Michigan and at school in Georgia. Each friend I have would do anything for me and I would do the same for them. My friends at home are my little security blanket. Even though we don't see each other much, we will always be there to listen to each other and help if we can. As for my school friends, they have become my family. I have made life long friends. They have made my college experience amazing and I miss them so much. I can't wait to go back in January to see them. 


Black Friday does suck but you have to be grateful for the time you have and make it worth it. Each moment counts, so make it worth while. 




Comments

Popular Posts