Netflix's "The Queen's Gambit" Review

Over the weekend, I took a break from my scary movies to watch Netflix's new drama mini-series, The Queen's Gambit. I never read the book or really looked into the series before, so I went into it with fresh eyes. 

Photo credit: CHARLIE GRAY/NETFLIX




The series starts right in 1967 at one of Beth's tournaments in Paris, right as she is about to play chess.

The story of how she grew up from an orphan to being adopted all while becoming a chess prodigy was very intriguing to see. Anya-Taylor Joy did a fantastic job playing a 14 year old in the second episode and then a 21 year old at the end of the series. My dad was astounded that she looked both ages during the episodes. 

This show really showed heartache while also showing the power and growth a person has. Even though she was an orphan, she really did have a huge family by the end.

I also really liked the character herself. In the beginning, she was a recluse, but by the end, she was a powerful woman who beat all the men by the age of 20. She also showed the ability to overcome so much adversity for her gender and the power she had since it was set in the 60s. I really enjoyed seeing two women in the show, one white, the other black, being strong and independent even though they grew up orphaned. 

The fashion in this show was also so strong and I wanted a lot of pieces. By the end of the series, we see Beth come into a strong fashion sense that is so amazing and gorgeous.  I did not see this show being strong with its costumes at the beginning.

Overall, I learned a lot from the mini-series, not just about character and the time period struggles, but also about the subject matter of chess. Now my dad and I want to start playing and I want to learn the game. 

A great show to watch to see a powerful female lead and how she grows and becomes the best chess player in the world. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts