Bridgerton Season 1 Review

 Finally, a new period drama to obsess over. I had never heard of this series before, but I just finished the second book in the series. I was pumped when I saw Netflix was doing a regency era period drama, so I binged all eight episodes on Christmas with my dad and it was so worth it.


Okay, let's start off with historical accuracy because you can tell just by the trailer that it's not accurate. Now I knew this going in, so I wasn't trying to be as nit-picky. For the time period, the society and mannerism were correct and that's all I really cared about. I know some people are not okay with adding POC in certain roles because of the time, but I found it a refreshing and needed addition. So many period dramas don't have POC characters and yes, the time period was vastly different for them, but it's 2020: add them in. So POC in this series made it 100% better.

Now for the costumes. I LOVED THEM! However, they weren't accurate in terms of prints and some colors. Of course, there were exceptions back then, but I felt like some of the patterns were too large for the time. Of course, the corset scene is a slight problem since by 1813 they were not wearing a stay for sinching in the waist, it was for support and fashion. So a smaller corset for the bust was used in the ball gowns, not so much for day dresses. Daphne does wear one that we see, so I would have rather just seen that. Other than some pieces being a little off, the costumes themselves were stunning and I want to recreate so many looks. 



Now for the plot. Oh my gosh, it's Gossip Girl but way better. The characters themselves were so interesting and I have already formed so many attachments. From Daphne and Simon's story to Eloise, I really cannot wait to see how the stories of the rest of the Bridgertons plan out. I know that season 1 was mostly focused on Simon and Daphne's story, but after a while, I was a little bored with them. It picked up fast though with their story taking some very dark turns. The controversial scene was necessary for the plot, but still not a fan of any assault scenes. 

Now, this show added a lot of spice. The intimate scenes were a lot. I like having some spicy scenes here and there, especially if they were in the books, but by the end of the season, I was just bored of them. 

Besides the main love story (and man, did I feel some Pride and Prejudice vibes later in the season with some of those confession scenes) you basically have Gossip Girl. Lady Whistlebowme is the OG of Gossip Girl having all the gossip at the tip of her pen. As you are trying to figure out who it is the whole season, you finally get to find out in the last scene. I wasn't surprised, but I don't believe that the writer is really who they say it is, so we will see what happens there. 


I love most of these characters. Eloise is now one of my favorites and we need to protect her. Penelope is adorable, but just needs some love and to fix a few things. Lady Danbury is a literal goddess. She is the only character I was not annoyed with at any time. Collin is a bean and deserves the world. I just want all of the characters to get great stories, so we can see some great development. Also now Anthony might be my favorite after reading his book in the series.


Overall, I loved this series, and it is now a new favorite. I am going to read the fourth book in the series that is on Collin and Penelope. Let me know what you thought of the series. 


Comments

Popular Posts