My Experience with Out of State College

When people ask me why I decided to go to school out of state, I always respond with "because there are no 'art' schools in Michigan." However with going to school in state, I could have had the security of staying in my home state. Besides my love for fashion, I always saw myself nearby to home. What made me change my mind from being near home to moving 15 hours away?



When I was little, I always knew I wanted to be a fashion designer, so that part was easy. However whenever I thought of college, I would get scared of leaving my family. The thought of leaving them terrified me. I am so close to both of my parents that I could never think of where to go. As I got older the dream blossomed to New York, but there was no way my mom was letting me go there by myself. I was really stuck at that point.



This all changed when my family and I went down to South Carolina for Spring Break. I started to look up places to visit in Savannah and found SCAD. I got so excited when I saw that they had fashion design. I booked us a tour right away and fell in love instantly. By this time, I was growing up, and was not as terrified to leave home. I knew that the only way to reach my dream was to go to school out of state. As I applied to colleges, four different states were involved: Ohio, Missouri, Illinois, and Georgia. Of course, my top pick was the farthest away from home. As I toured each school and made pros and cons lists, I knew that SCAD was right for me.



By the time I was leaving for SCAD, my fear from being away from home was not that present. Once I got to school, I was super happy. After a month, I was so homesick. Then hurrication happened and going home for a week was a blessing.



Now that I am in my second year, I love being in a different state. Without moving away, I would not have gotten the experiences that I have had. Since my school is immersed into the city, there is always something to do. I have met some of my best friends for life here and we are all from different parts of the country and the world. I get to know different cultures and we get to explore together. I also get to travel back and forth which is always a new experience. I've met so many people and made amazing connections that will last my entire life. I've noticed that some people from high school always hang out with the people they did back then which is not a bad thing, but college is also for making new friends and expanding your mind.



With all of these new experiences and challenges, I've grown as a person and I am better from it.


Comments

Popular Posts