Top Songs of the 1940's

Happy Friday! This weekend is SCAD parent weekend as well as the Sidewalk Festival. My parents are not here, but I am being adopted by both Amelia and Alix's families who are visiting. Looking forward to a very fun weekend. A couple of months ago, I decided to start a new little series where I put all my favorite songs and movies from past decades and compile them into my top 10s. I'm starting with the late 30s and all throughout the 40s which is a perfect place since I adore swing music and that time in particular. Here are my top songs from then!

10. Star Dust- Artie Shaw (1941)


I'm gonna start off with a classic hit that gets me moving. 
I lose yourself in the music as I relax and enjoy the band. 

9. Five Minutes More- Frank Sinatra (1946)


My baby, Frank, I have adored his music since I was little, so, of course, he will be on a lot of lists. This song is one of his earlier works but still has that same Sinatra vibe. 

8. Someone to Watch Over Me- Frank Sinatra (1946)


This is another one by him.
 I do love Ella Fitzgerald's version a little better, but I will always love Frank. 
It's such a great song with a beautiful melody. 

7. Over The Rainbow- Judy Garland (1939)


It's a classic. Need I say more?

6. I'll Be Seeing You- Billie Holiday (1944)


I get lost in her voice and let go of my surroundings. 
It's a song that gets me into the dream state that I never want to come back from. 

5. Sentimental Journey- Doris Day (1944)


I just sway along to the beautiful tone of her voice.
The lyrics are beautiful and this song is classic for the 40s.

4. Nature Boy- Nat King Cole (1948)


You cannot go wrong with Nat King Cole.
His voice puts me in a trance and it helps me focus whenever listening to this song. 

3. Dream A Little Dream Of Me- Doris Day (1940's)


This song was written in the 30s and became a hit fast.
 So many artists sang this song, but Doris' version makes me just want to curl up and fall asleep. 

2.  Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy- The Andrew Sisters (1941)


The Andrew Sisters made the 40s with their music. 
This song makes you think of the good times even when life is tough. 
This is a great song to get me moving. 

1. In The Mood- Glenn Miller (1940)


This is the best song! It's a classic and never gets old. 
I can dance and move and just go along with the beat. 
Love, love, love this song with a passion, and it will always be my favorite. 


See you guys on Monday for the top movies from these decades! 


Comments

Popular Posts