Intro To Fashion: My Work

With class starting again this Monday, Spring Break is almost over. The week has gone by faster than a blink of an eye, but I've had such a great time being in Texas. In this last quarter I took my Intro to Fashion class. I had to create a trend report, draw out a couple of new designs, and sew a garment as a part of my final, which was to create a collection. I loved taking this class, and I had a journey with making my concept come to life, and assembling the final piece.

My concept revolved around the idea of Love, which is a broad term, but Love is not all hearts and butterflies, it is complex. Some could start to define it as: passion, lust, compassion, beauty, trust, communication, and so much more. My inspiration first came from Lili Reinhart's Cosmo Cover last February. Once I saw it, it sparked my thought of what love is, how I am obsessed with Bughead, Sprousehart, and all the other ships on my list. Or, on the other hand, how I constantly have a heart dedicated to all things romantic. As I do call myself: a romantic with a dirty mind.

Here are some of the research photos in my process book:





Next in the class, I had to make a trend report for the Spring/Summer 2018 season, which was super easy create, I organized in In Design, then printed and bound it professionally. Then I produced flats of one garment from each fashion capitol. 




Fendi





Tommy Hilfiger






Dior




Marchesa 



Amid the planning, I had an assignment to make multiple magazine covers, as well as create some articles to put into them. 





 I had to create mood/fashion boards for my final project. Each one, a different aspect of the collection: the muse, the colors, the fabrics, and the overall idea that is being told. My muse was of course Lili Reinhart. With the photos I collected, it seemed natural to decide using soft colors. Tans were the foundation color, but with adding a harsh dark green, as well as a light pink, it gave some added color in the design. The fabrics I used were silk, chiffon and velvet. On the silk, I printed on it vintage hand-written love letters, which the pieces were then sewn together to make a stylized patchwork dress. I made the neckline lined in velvet, which was cut into the deep v shape that I wanted. I then laid a super-sized tan chiffon serape over-top of the dress, to add dimension to the piece, and make the dress stand out. 







My collection turned out amazing! The flats were a pain to make, but I am so happy with how it turned out. 



The process to make the final garment was a tedious process. I had to sew each piece of, eight by eleven inch, silk together, and create my own pattern with it. The velvet was easier to add to the dress than I expected. The chiffon was fine, since all I had to do was stitched up the sides of it. To create this dress I sewed this whole of it, which is something that I did not have to do, since this class usually does not allow such advantages in the past.


The overall piece turned out great, and I am so proud of myself. I had my beautiful roommate Amelia model the dress for me, and my friend Alix to take the fantastic photos. We shot them at six in the morning at Tybee Island, just after sunrise, which turned out great. Also, shout out to Megan for driving us that early. These photos are everything that encompasses my idea. This project was a success, and was great step into making my career. 






This was an amazing project, and I have learned so much. I love this dress with all of its lovely imperfections. I will see you guys Monday for a Texan travel post. 










Comments

Popular Posts