Lust for Life Album Review

Lust for Life is Lana Del Reys fourth studio album, and is very much like her first album Born to Die. I have been a big Lana fan since 2013 and know every song by heart. I have all her songs and albums, and could not wait for this album to be released.  My favorite Lana songs were from Born to Die and Paradise, because that is what made her Lana Del Rey. When Ultraviolence and Honeymoon came out she was experimenting with sound and her writing skills. I feel like Lust for Life is going to back to her roots, but still playing with the montage to her vintage aesthetic.


Image result for lust for life

With Love and Lust for Life being released as singles in the beginning of the year, we got to see what the album was about. Then about two weeks before its release in July we got Groupie Love and Summer Bummer, which were songs that had a different feel then her usual ones. Each song has its own style, so its a wide range for the album.

Love:

Her first song of the track ad first single show that Lana is still paying homage to the past. This song is beautiful and is great to sing along to. There's a soft beat that is uplifting. 



Lust for Life (with The Weeknd):

Two of my favorite artists in one song! This is more of a pop beat and I am so happy with the outcome. A showcase to what Hollywood is like and the sign in the video is iconic. 



13 Beaches: 

A good old sad song from Lana. This song makes you think, and it's great to really go deep to understand the meaning. 


Cherry:

This song adds the hip hop to give it a different beat. This song reminds me of Cola, and her usage of words to describe situations. I also love how she just says fuck right at the end. Great way to end a song. 


White Mustang:

The shortest song on the track, but a lot of power. She is going back to her old tracks and is recreating the image she wanted. This song makes you want to blare it in a mustang of your own. 


Summer Bummer (with A$AP Rocky and Playboi Carti)

This one took me a while to really like it. I had to get used to the rap and hip hop beats. I felt like it was the generic rap beat, but once you listen to it a couple of times, it will be stuck in your head. Of course it's about summer because its her branding. 


Groupie Love (with A$AS Rocky)

She is a groupie and she knows it. The soft beat in the background makes you sway along to this song. I have had it stuck in my head since it came out. I did like the rap in this one, placed very well. 


In my Feelings:

This song is sexy as fuck. One of my favorites, I sing it all the time. With a great beat, sound, and lyrics, it's a perfect song. It's so much like Born to Die and I love it.


Coachella- Woodstock In My Mind:

I still have mixed feeling of this song, its good, but she has better. The beat is OK, but I feel like this song is week and could have more in it. 


God Bless America- And All The Beautiful Women In It:

Back to the 60's and 70's vibe. Great track to listen to during the fourth. She is proud of America, but she is still being political, with women being the powerhouse behind it. Great song for us girls. 


When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing:

Another political song, but showcasing what America has gone through. This shows how in time, we were not present but only focusing on our own lives and not thinking what the whole country was going through. 


Beautiful People Beautiful Problems (with Stevie Nicks):

I was so hype when I found out she was doing a song with Stevie Nicks! A great melody with great voices that makes you wanna do something great. This song makes me think of the 70's. 


Tomorrow Never Came (with Sean Ono Lennon):

Another great artist that she is working with. I feel like the second half of the album is political, and has deeper meanings behind each song. These songs need to be showcased more. 


Heroin:

This song got to me the first time I heard it. Since the album was released a day after Chester Bennington's suicide, I felt a strong connection to this song. If you really listen I feel like Lana is trying to send a message, since Chris Cornell and Chester both died because of their depression. It's a haunting song that makes you cry. 


Change:

Lana is telling the world that change is coming and we need to be ready for it. Change is powerful and we all need to embrace it and take it as our own. 


Get Free:

The last song of the album, closes the story behind the whole thing. It wraps up the album, and shows that Lana has done it again, she made a powerful album. 


Whole Album


Overall this album was beautiful and full of meaning. I rank it as my third favorite from Lana, with Born to Die and Paradise taking first and second. I like the change from the melodramatic of her past two albums, to coming back with great beats, that also have great meanings. Give the album a listen and see for yourself. Great job Lana Del Rey! 

Comments

Popular Posts