My Favorite Period Shows

My lord, do I love period shows! These are my absolute favorite type of stories to watch. Any time frame is amazing to see, and I have so many different ones I watch. I love seeing the time and how people acted, and the costumes are always a must see. Most of my favorite TV shows comes from this list, and it was so hard to narrow down. Bear with the twenty, but that is how far I could cut it. Game of Thrones will not be on this list because it's more fantasy and in a made up time period. If it was on this list, though, it would be number one because it's GOT! Enjoy and I hope that you guys will go watch some of these after you read this. 

Image result for period shows gif

20. That '70s Show 

Image result for that 70s show gif

What? Why is this in your top twenty? Even though this show doesn't really fall into the normal period shows, it does for me. It's funny, stupid, and I have seen each episode around 50 times. I love how in the earlier seasons we got to see true 70s fashion and I really liked how it was portrayed. Super funny and always a favorite. 

19. The White Princess

Image result for the white princess gif

The sequel to the one below, this show is a continuation from the War of Roses where the Tudors got ahold of the crown of England. I love seeing how exactly the great house got the throne and all the consequences that happened before they got there. The costume designs are stunning and I watched this show every week when it premiered. A great show with historical accuracy. 

18. The White Queen

Image result for the white queen gif

This one was amazing to watch. The costumes were okay, but it truly represented 15th century England. I love seeing how the Battle of Roses turned out and how it went from York to Tudors in just 32 years. A great show if you want to know some of England's history. 

17. Borgia

Image result for borgia gif

Now we are in Italy! I loved seeing how the dynamic of this powerful family turned out. I liked seeing the inside of the papal states and how corrupt it was. The costumes were gorgeous as well as the backgrounds. Very intriguing show that will make you want to know more. Definitely binge worthy. 

16. Reign

Image result for reign gif

Now this show goes in both period shows and teen dramas. It's not focused on historical accuracy or costumes, but still super good. Even with the costumes not being accurate to the time, they were so beautiful that I let it slide. I have always loved the story of Mary, Queen of Scots, so this was a great show to watch. A good show if you want drama and a different time period. 

15. The Tudors

Image result for the tudors gif

This is set after the White Princess with the most famous Tudor kings. This show was just too good to stop watching. I liked seeing King Henry VIII's life and how it unfolded into madness. Since this is the most famous, it was done very well. The costumes and the acting in this show make it one of my favorites. Go binge on Netflix right away!

14. The Time in Between

Image result for the time in between gif

I love this Spanish drama so much! Set in Spain right before WWII, it follows a young girl in love as she turns into a spy. It kept me on my toes the whole time. Seeing her go from innocent to fiery and bold was so fun to watch. I also loved how she was a fashion designer, so I got to see beautiful 40s clothes. A great show to watch while getting lost in the plot.  

13. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 

Image result for the marvelous mrs maisel gif

This is a powerful, funny show. I love the 50s background and how it takes the stereotype of woman and kicks it to the curb. Maisel is a fantastic character and I cannot wait for season 2. Funny and easy to watch, this show leaves viewers wanting more. 

12. The Crown

Image result for the crown gif

Now back to England's history, but much more recent. My family and I have always loved royals, so watching this show was a definite.  I love how it tells the story perfectly and we get to see events from the past to more recently in the queen's life. A great show with acting, costumes, sets, and so much more. Season 3, hurry up!

11. Morocco: Love in Times of War

Image result for morocco love time war gif

Another one of my favorite Spanish dramas! Set in the 20s during the war of Spain and Morocco, this drama keeps me on my toes. The relationships build up in a perfect way and I have about three ships from this show. A great war story to watch. 

10. Deadwood

Image result for deadwood gif

Man, I love the west especially in the 1800s. This show has been a favorite since I was little. I love how it tells the story of the town and everything that happened during that time.  The characters are funny, gritty, and have some amazing development. Need to rewatch this series soon. 

9. Penny Dreadful

Image result for penny dreadful gif

Lord help me! I just watched the whole series in May over one weekend and it messed with me. The story line is interesting and it takes classic book characters into a new direction. The supernatural element is interesting and the gore is very good. This show will make you want a box of tissues at the end as it rips out your heart. 

8. Stranger Things

Image result for stranger things gif

I did not jump on this bandwagon until the second season was out, but man, did I get addicted fast. I am not one for sci-fi type shows, but this show is just perfect. The plot is so interesting and the time period is perfect for it. I fell in love with all the characters instantly and this has become one of my favorite shows. This one is great to binge because you will want more. 

7. Victoria

Image result for victoria and albert gif

I love Queen Victoria and her life story, so this show is perfect for me. The drama and how her life was is so interesting to watch since she is one of the best queens England has ever had. I love seeing her love story with her husband and how they had a good marriage as well as being one of the most powerful couples of that time. Fantastic show. 

6. Downton Abbey

Image result for downton abbey gif

This show! I cannot even explain how good it is! I like how it started in 1912 then proceeded to go through the years until the 20s. The costumes alone made my heart flutter and the relationships were beyond perfect. This is another show that will tear at your heartstrings, so have tissues and be ready to cry. I still cannot watch some scenes because it hurts too much. Also, I am so excited for the movie to come out!

5. Mad Men

Image result for mad men gif

Now this show is so good. Starting in 1960 and ending in 1971, this show takes the 11 years and makes the best out of it. We get to see how life was in that time and how an mad man made his life. There are so many twists and turns of this show that make you confused, but also leave you wanting more. Highly recommend this amazing show. 

4. Marco Polo

Image result for marco polo gif

Still very mad that this show got cancelled. I love the costumes, the time and how I got to see what it was like in Mongolia in the 13th century. The show follows Marco Polo on his adventure to the east and how he became on of the Khan's most trusted advisors. Great action, characters, drama and more, this show had everything. Pettition for Netflix to come out with another season. 

3. Pride and Prejudice

Image result for pride and prejudice gif

This counts as a series. I looked it up. My favorite version of Pride and Prejudice of all time! Exactly like the book and does not cover up or miss a detail. The acting is great and the whole story is perfect. I binge watch this every couple of years just to make me happy. All time favorite.

2. Poldark

Image result for poldark gif

I am surprised that this is number two since I just started watching this in June. This has been my obsession this summer and it's so good! The characters are fantastic and I already have three ships from this amazing show. It tells the story of Ross Poldark and his family and friends through the course of decades. Intriguing and very entertaining, this show is a must see. Season four finale was last night and I am still not over it. 

1. Outlander

Related image

My baby! The holy grail of shows! My second favorite on air right now. I have talked about this show so much, so it's no surprise that its my number one. Claire and Jamie are perfection and the story is just so beautiful. I love everything about it and I am so excited for season four in November.




What's your favorite on this list?
Any recommendations for shows I need to watch? 

Comments

Popular Posts